Adolescents experience many issues and situations that constantly trigger their stress response systems: deadlines at school, pressure to perform, peer pressure, busy schedules, social media, and so on. As Mindful Coaches, we acknowledge that mindfulness isn’t a cure-all for the ups and downs that a young person may experience; however, the tools we teach help them to incorporate mindfulness into their daily lives and provide practical skills and strategies for managing life in general.
The brain’s response to living under a constant state of stress looks different for different people: in some it may be explosive, “flying off the handle”; for others it looks like anxiety, anger, or impulsiveness; others have difficulty paying attention; some experience extreme mood swings; and some seem always overwhelmed.
Why does mindfulness training for kids and teens matter?
Mindfulness practice has been shown to contribute directly to the wellbeing and development of cognitive and performance skills in youth. When young people have tools and strategies to become mindful, they are better able to keep the emotional spikes from going too high, and they are able to come back more quickly to a calmer baseline.
Mindfulness practice in kids and teens has shown an increase in self-management skills and feelings of empowerment, and improvements in
- language processing, problem solving, and creativity
- concentration, attention, and memory
- focus and performance
- happiness and peace of mind
- work habits and cooperation
- attendance and an increase in GPA
- behaviour, self-esteem, and relationship quality, and
- ADHD symptoms.
How does the Mindful Changes for Kids and Teens program work?
Practising mindfulness strengthens the neural pathways in the prefrontal cortex (the “smart” part of the brain), making it stronger, more efficient, and easier to use.
Our programs for kids (ages 10 to 12) and teens are based on studies showing that adolescents who are mindful tend to experience greater well-being, resilience, and positive emotions during what is usually a difficult age.
We also teach tools, specifically for teens, that incorporate how young people can find their passion and be successful during what can be one of the most challenging and exciting times of their lives
What you’ll learn in the Mindful Changes for Kids and Teens program
The 8-week course teaches you and your adolescent:
- How the adolescent brain works
- What is mindfulness for children
- How mindfulness changes the adolescent brain
- What are the changes you will see in kids and teens when they practice mindfulness
- How mindfulness can increase your children’s attention and focus
- How to decrease classroom and home stress and anxiety using mindfulness techniques
- How to help kids and teens increase and improve performance
This program is an 8-week course for teens and kids at your local school, community, or athletic team.
Contact us for a free consultation or to learn more about our one-to-one coaching for kids and teens, with parental coaching. Please contact us to schedule dates and times in Vancouver, BC and the Lower Mainland.